SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday 23 June 2016

The EU Referendum

The EU referendum is a topic I have been mulling over for months now. Up until the ballot I was completely unsure whether to remain or stay. I decided to go for my gut instinct. This might be unfavourable for some, but for me, it was the vote that I was most comfortable making.

This referendum is a place for everyone over the age of 18 to make their decision on their future. People should be given the most information from both sides as humanly possible, in order for the right decision to come to each person.

However, what I have seen over the last few weeks on social media has quite frankly made me feel sick. Both sides have acted like nothing more than petulant children having a tantrum because they aren't getting their own way. 

The way people I know in real life have acted horrendously. I am very aware people have very strong opinions on this but shoving it down everyone's throats is not going to get you anywhere, and will probably push people in the opposite direction. The amount who have turned into self proclaimed political Gods over the last few weeks has made me want to reevaluate who I associate with, due to the dickhead behaviour and outright bullying from both sides against each other.

The remain voters act like you just want to leave because you're racist and only care about immigration. Which is wrong, when most (not all) will have made up their decision based on the information presented.

The leave voters act like you're a complete sheep if you stay in, forgetting that some are quite possibly happy in the EU and don't want to rock the boat.

The complete shaming all over social media by the remainers of the youths who actually want to leave, and the remain youths shaming of the older generation who want to leave has made me so angry over the last few weeks.

What has concerned me the most about this whole referendum is how celebrities have taken to social media in their droves to actively shame voters who want to leave. I have seen so many prominent and influential celebrities on social media treading the line so close to bullying with this whole issue that I hope when reflecting on the last few weeks they hang their heads in shame.

A person makes their vote based on their own opinions and have the democratic right to do so. Absolutely NOBODY should be made to feel shameful about voting either way. Leave campaigners shouldn't harangue the remainers and the remainers shouldn't shame the leavers.

Everyone has the right to come to their own conclusions and should not be held in contempt for their vote.

Make your decision and unless you're going to remain positive and not disrespectful of other people's opinions; keep your decision to yourself.

I know how I voted and no matter how the vote goes I will be perfectly happy with it because that is the way it is meant to be. It can't be changed. But some people's behaviour can be, and I hope it is changed really fucking quickly.

Hev.